When you’re a homeowner, one of the biggest threats to your home and family is the chance of fire. The U.S. Fire Administration projected in 2019 that American homeowners underwent about $1.6 billion in losses as the result of unforeseen or unattended fires. The terrible truth is fires are sudden and many times preventable -- if you know where to look. And, fortunately, you are ready with a monitored fire alarm that gets you emergency responders ASAP if you ever have an emergency.
What Causes House Fires In Salem?
Fires can happen anywhere without notice in the house. However, you can lessen the risk of a house fire if you take countermeasures around the following objects:
- Stoves and Ovens: Cooking is overwhelmingly the number 1 cause of a house fire in Salem. Cooking-related fires most often start when the kitchen is left unattended during meal preparation. Water used on a grease fire only works to expand a flame that would alternatively be contained.
- Candles: Passing out in a room with a lit candle is problematic, even if you’re using a recessed candle holder. The flame can easily catch a curtain ablaze if left near a window, and animals can bump into candles while exploring. The National Fire Protection Association estimates that just over 7,600 houses were damaged due to candle-related incidents between 2014-2018.
- Electrical wires: Corroded electrical circuit interrupters, “tamper-resistant” electrical outlets, malfunctioning or improperly set up lighting, and split lamp cords is a big risk. Be careful not to overload your outlets or plug anything in with uncovered wiring. If for any reason you hear crackling or detect smoke from the outlet, turn the breaker off before checking it out.
- Space Heaters: Skip over coiled space heaters because debris, like dust bunnies, old papers, or blankets can end up in and alight. However, you need to make sure to oversee fan and ceramic space heaters whenever the device is in operation.
- Cigarettes: Just in 2014, U.S. fire departments fought blazes in more than 17,000 residence fires triggered by smoking paraphernalia. So if you have a smoker who partakes inside, be certain they never pass out with a cigarette or lay in bed with one. And fully snuff out your paraphernalia before you toss it into a trash can.
A Monitored Smoke Detector Does Can Helps When There’s A Fire
If a fire should spark, you have to have an early warning system to inform your family members as soon as possible. A traditional smoke alarm is adequate but can only alert you if smoke is abundant. An advanced fire alarm -- a security device that's pair with your home security devices -- can sense both smoke and climbing heat and can do more to make sure everyone’s safety.
A monitored fire alarm has several means it can alert you of a fire. Your alarms can alert your family with a high-decibel siren and a message to your mobile device. That’s when your ever-vigilant monitoring experts gets a hold of the fire department. And should you be somewhere where you can't speed you your house when a fire breaks out, you can rest assured that your monitoring agent will facilitate contact between you and the fire department.
Get Your Monitored Fire Alarms From Secure24 Alarm Systems
The chance of house fires in Salem should never be underestimated, but you can rest assured if you use a monitored fire alarm on hand. Contact Secure24 Alarm Systems, and we’ll help you install all the safety detectors you need with a cutting-edge home security system. Call (503) 300-4371 or submit the form below to get your home security system.